Werner’s Wings/Storm Miniatures

1/35th MH-47E Conversion Online Build

 

Step 18

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The engines would be basically hidden inside the nacelles with just a hint of the metallic
burner can showing through.  Because of this I did not add a lot of detail to them. 
I did make diffuser tubes for the back end.  These were just ¼ inch aluminum tubing
with holes drilled for the mounts through them.  These mounts also had to fit in through
the exhaust nozzle.  Nothing too big.  Some stiffeners were added
to the mounts on the outside.  The results were very convincing.

The HF antenna as molded in the kit is now too long for the MH-47E. 
Shortening it was easy.  Just remove one section and then it was a matter
of pinning and gluing the cut line for strength.  Simple and invisible modification.

Before Modifications

After

 

It was time to get the whole thing masked up.  I was initially regretting
this but it turned out to be a non-event.  Wide Tape was added to the rear
cabin opening.  Then the rear windows were masked with tape in a conventional
way.  The front ones were supplemented with index cards cut to size to fill
opening.  Tape and some masking fluid held it in place.  The whole
model was then primed with Alclad Grey Primer and any
areas were fixed that needed it.

Marveling at the immense size of this project

Masks applied

First coat of primer

Step 19

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With the primer dried and everything fixed up it was time to add some color to this beast.  I like
to add zinc chromate to my helicopters to bring out the realistic color
and to aid in weathering.  Some TamiyaZinc Chromate was sprayed over the entire model
and I had a yellow green machine on my bench.  I then pre-shaded with Tamiya Flat Black. 
This was applied along the panel lines
and in a random pattern that would barely show through
but it is one more layer of weathering.  The whole process was going very quick now.

Zinc

Pre-shading

 

After some conversation with some Night Stalkers it appears that we were incorrect. 
Night Stalker aircraft are not Flat Black.  Yup, you heard me right, they aren’t flat black. 
The correct color is a mix of two parts US Army Helicopter Green (FS34031) and one part Flat Black. 
I used Model Master Enamel for my mix.  I mixed it up in acrylic and
enamel so I could use the one for weathering.

First coat of paint

The color is still very dark.  I applied the mix in vertical strokes to aid in the weathering. 
To the base coat I added some white to lighten up the color. 
Again using vertical strokes with the airbrush adds another layer of weathering. 
I also used this mix on horizontal surfaces, such as the top of the pylon and fuel tanks, that
would be bleached by the sun. 

Some flat black was added to the nose cone and the weather radar. 
Once I was happy with the results I added a coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss, my favorite clear coat,
in preparation for the decals.

The decals are of course the Werner’s Wings Night Stalkers-Part 2 decals. 
They are really thin so make sure you have plenty ofwater on the surface to get them in place. 
They posed no problem and there are just not a lot of decals on the MH-47.  I
did my aircraft as Razor 1 from “Robert’s Ridge” which featured a NYFD symbol, as well as, the
arrowhead near the right front door.  The decals were set in place with Solvaset and sealed with Alclad Flat.

While the fuselage was drying I worked on the rotor blades. 
I cleaned up the ‘panel lines’ on the rotor blades as they are not on the real blades. 
I also removed the raised panel on the end of the blade because again it isn’t on the real thing. 
Rotor blades are smooth and pretty featureless despite what model manufacturers depict. 
I filled the panel lines with super glue and baby powder set with accelerator. 
Once that was done Alclad Grey Primer was applied then polished smooth. 
Then a coat of Alclad Stainless Steel was airbrushed over the blade. 
I did not add a coat of zinc on the blades as everything I saw in pics seemed
to indicate that there was no zinc applied.  I could be wrong.  Anyhow when that was
done I sprayed Tamiya NATO Black which is my go to black lately.  It isn’t too dark and looks great. 

Once the paint was dried I used sponge sanding sticks, I can’t remember who makes them but they are
beautiful for depicting wear on rotor blades.  I work slowly from the tip to the rear this
gives you a very realistic wear pattern.  I touch up the front of the blade where I sanded
through the paint with Model Master Steel applied with a sponge.  The end result is quite realistic
but the blades aren’t done yet.  After that was applied, I used Tamiya
weathering powders and streaked the blades from front to back.  I did more
weathering on top of the blades than the bottom just because they are exposed to the
sun more.  The final step was to thin out some
Tamiya Buff so that it was very translucent and apply it in the direction of rotation. 
The blades were set aside for now.

 

 

Continue on to step 20 - Coming Soon

 

Copyright 2014 Werners Wings http://www.wernerswings.com